vlasovsoft.net

vlasovsoft forum
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: pbchess-1.2.5 - testing
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 pm 

My ELO: 1500-1600
Hi!

Thanks to all who wants to test pbchess-1.2.5. We will discuss this version, it's bugs and features in this thread.

BUILDS

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html

FEATURES

http://wiki.vlasovsoft.net/doku.php?id=en:pbchess-1.2.5

PROBLEMS LIST
1. {DONE} Impossible to solve puzzles for black
2. {DONE} Doesn't work board auto-rotation for puzzles
3. {DONE} MENU/Redraw screen works terrible for KT
4. {DONE} "HOME" button doesn't redraw screen for K4NT
5. {DONE} Hard to select file and open base in K4NT
6. {POSTPONED} Antialiasing doesn't work for TTF-fonts with KT
7. {DONE} Game controls "time per move" do not work with hoichess
8. {DONE} Engine is stopped after return to the game from History mode

CHANGE REQUESTS
1. {DONE} Show virtual keyboard for K4NT only after "Ok" key pressed
2. {DONE} Create new empty base
3. {DONE} Enter players' names in the "New Game Dialog" and remember them
4. {DONE} Ask file name for PGN export

Please subscribe to this thread!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm 

I've built pbchess-1.2.5 for Kindle Touch (see first topic). Installation in the same as pbchess-1.2.4. You can use these 2 versions together. I'm waiting for feedback :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 pm 

My ELO: 0-1000
uhm. it's quite strange but it seems that i am not able to run the
if I click Menu->Launcher->pbchess-1.2.5
it goes back to home
if I click Menu->Launcher->pbchess
it runs usual pbchess

i tried modifying pbchess.cfg to insert my key and changing my name, but it doesn't work neither. Also I've put Ivaschenko in /chess as in the 1.2.4 version, but it doesn't work.

I've also tried "Restart the framework" from JBPatch and "Restart" from menu, but it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 pm 

ale wrote:
it goes back to home
it runs usual pbchess

i tried modifying pbchess.cfg to insert my key and changing my name, but it doesn't work neither. Also I've put Ivaschenko in /chess as in the 1.2.4 version, but it doesn't work.

I've also tried "Restart the framework" from JBPatch and "Restart" from menu, but it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't start.

Sorry, folder name in the archive was wrong.

pbchess-1.2.5_kt.zip:
1. pbchess-1.2.5_kt (should be pbchess_1.2.5)
2. extensions

Please download and install it again (I've changed the pbchess binary also).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:54 pm 

My ELO: 0-1000
sergeyvl wrote:
ale wrote:
it goes back to home
it runs usual pbchess

Sorry, folder name in the archive was wrong.

pbchess-1.2.5_kt.zip:
1. pbchess-1.2.5_kt (should be pbchess_1.2.5)
2. extensions

Please download and install it again (I've changed the pbchess binary also).

ok everything works now :)
a side note: i found depressing how quickly time runs and how much time I fail ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:20 am 

I started testing, too.
There are couple of things I wanted to touch after first couple of minutes I spent with the new version:
  • menu bug - if you have menu opened and switch off kindle with a power button, the menu stays on screen, frozen, with underlying screensaver picture
  • if you set human vs. human game, one is called "Player" the other one "Human"
  • not sure if it was planned or not for this release, but antialiasing of screen fonts is not enabled
  • not sure if planned for this release, but on screen keyboard is still not available, so you cannot change player name for example

Layout system is great for game revision and books, finally one has much more space available for notation!

Questions:
  • is it possible to create a new, empty database? As I mentioned before, I'd like to be able to copy my games from paper score to the database at the tournament
  • related to the above: is it possible to browse through the database if it does not have chapters like Ivashchenko or Kalinichenko?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 am 

itias wrote:
[*] menu bug - if you have menu opened and switch off kindle with a power button, the menu stays on screen, frozen, with underlying screensaver picture

I can't fix it :( Qt is not a native Kindle toolkit. That's why we can have some bugs related to interacting with Kindle Touch environment. And that's why I can't use kindle virtual keyboard. I need to write my own.

itias wrote:
[*] if you set human vs. human game, one is called "Player" the other one "Human"

Confirmed. The possibility to enter the names of players will appear when I implement the virtual keyboard.

itias wrote:
[*] not sure if it was planned or not for this release, but antialiasing of screen fonts is not enabled

Yes. Will be fixed in the next build of 1.2.5.

itias wrote:
[*] not sure if planned for this release, but on screen keyboard is still not available, so you cannot change player name for example[/list]

I'll try to implement the virtual keyboard in 1.2.5.

Quote:
is it possible to create a new, empty database? As I mentioned before, I'd like to be able to copy my games from paper score to the database at the tournament

Yes, I can implement it in 1.2.5. As far as we have no virtual keyboard yet and can't enter the database name I can use current date and time to generate database name.

E.g.

20120911131812.cdb (Year,Month,Day,HH,MM,SS)

Is it ok?

itias wrote:
related to the above: is it possible to browse through the database if it does not have chapters like Ivashchenko or Kalinichenko?

Not possible in 1.2.5. You can only move one game forward, backward, first game and last game.
I don't remember whether I described in the documentation that you can move forward by short tapping on the right area of the header and move backward by short tapping on the left area.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 am 

Quote:
Quote:
is it possible to create a new, empty database? As I mentioned before, I'd like to be able to copy my games from paper score to the database at the tournament

Yes, I can implement it in 1.2.5. As far as we have no virtual keyboard yet and can't enter the database name I can use current date and time to generate database name.
E.g.
20120911131812.cdb (Year,Month,Day,HH,MM,SS)
Is it ok?

Yes, I think it would be fine, unless you would like to wait for virtual keyboard.

BTW, I forgot to ask previously what kind of gesture improvement have you implemented?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm 

itias wrote:
Yes, I think it would be fine, unless you would like to wait for virtual keyboard.

I've just experimented with the virtual keyboard. It is the question of a few days to implement it (of cause the first version will be without the national symbols). So, we will be able to enter players' names :)

In this version (1.2.5) I'll implement also the new database creation, but without entering the file name.

itias wrote:
BTW, I forgot to ask previously what kind of gesture improvement have you implemented?

There are 4 gestures for moves history:

1. left to right: next move (works fine in 1.2.4) ;
2. right to left: previous move (works fine in 1.2.4);
3. up to down: last move in the main line, last move in the variant, next variant (works unstable in 1.2.4);
4. down to up: first move in the main line, first move in the variant, prev variant (doesn't work in 1.2.4);

So, the 2 last types are fixed.

Besides "drag and drop" move method should completely work. In 1.2.4 it doesn't work for the vertical moves (e.g. pawn moves).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:39 pm 

I've also found that antialiasing of chess figurine fonts is missing, are you going to restore that option?

And second thing I already mentioned is that in Contents window, the '+' symbol in the tree view is too small, I think it would be good if the '+' size would match actual + sign from screen font.

I also see you implemented better scrollbars, thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next