pbchess-1.2.6 - plans to new version

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1500-1600

pbchess-1.2.6 - plans to new version

Postby sergeyvl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi! I'm glad to notify you that development of 1.2.5 version is almost complete. Only bug-fixing and translation are remain for this version.

Here are my plans to the new (1.2.6) version:

1. Analysis mode
2. Set up board
3. Figurine chess notation
4. Database browser
5. Ability to pause puzzles and games
6. Select action if we are replacing move: New variation, New main line, Replace, Cancel
7. Delete moves confirmation

Of cause I'm opened for new ideas and this plan can be updated.

Let's discuss 1.2.6 plans in this thread!

itias

Re: pbchess-1.2.6 - plans to new version

Postby itias » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 am

I already mentioned in some other thread:
  • database browser - currently there is no possibility to see what is in the database, so practically anything bigger than couple of games is hard to navigate and select from,
  • new database - ability to set a name when creating a database,
  • pause puzzles and games (new menu option "Pause")

sergeyvl

Postby sergeyvl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 am

itias wrote:I already mentioned in some other thread:
  • database browser - currently there is no possibility to see what is in the database, so practically anything bigger than couple of games is hard to navigate and select from,
  • new database - ability to set a name when creating a database,
  • pause puzzles and games (new menu option "Pause")

Thanks!

Added to plans.

itias wrote:new database - ability to set a name when creating a database

Already done in pbchess-1.2.5. Please check.

itias

Postby itias » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Sergey,

Like I mentioned in my other post, I'm using pbchess also for entering score sheets from my kids' games. I found two annoyances:
  • after making a mistake and entering incorrect move there is no easy way to replace it. It would be good (if possible) to have a similar option to chessbase: when you take back and enter another move, you see a list of 5 options: new variation, new mainline, overwrite, insert and cancel,
  • related to the above, if you take back and want to delete moves after, you can mistakenly tap "Delete moves before" instead of "Delete moves after" at least on kindle touch. Maybe you could add confirmation dialog?

sergeyvl

Postby sergeyvl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 pm

itias wrote:Hi Sergey,

Like I mentioned in my other post, I'm using pbchess also for entering score sheets from my kids' games. I found two annoyances:
  • after making a mistake and entering incorrect move there is no easy way to replace it. It would be good (if possible) to have a similar option to chessbase: when you take back and enter another move, you see a list of 5 options: new variation, new mainline, overwrite, insert and cancel,
  • related to the above, if you take back and want to delete moves after, you can mistakenly tap "Delete moves before" instead of "Delete moves after" at least on kindle touch. Maybe you could add confirmation dialog?

Thanks, Greg!

Accepted.

itias

Postby itias » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Sergey,

When dealing with exercises I thought it could be good if I can set up a threshold for number of unsuccessful tries. Sometimes I am frustrated when I cannot solve the complicated puzzle and would like to know the solution ;)
I also thought it could be nice to see the refutation for my wrong solution - right now I'm doing that manually by creating a new game from current position, but the issue is that 7ply depth is probably too few, so I'm getting the best results when doing 30mins/game for this mode. Maybe it could be possible to have a "Refutation" button in the standard incorrect move dialog box, what do you think?

sergeyvl

Postby sergeyvl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:42 am

itias wrote:Hi Sergey,
When dealing with exercises I thought it could be good if I can set up a threshold for number of unsuccessful tries. Sometimes I am frustrated when I cannot solve the complicated puzzle and would like to know the solution ;)

I can implement "Hint" menu option. The piece that should move will be highlighted. But I think It's better to skip this exercise and return to it later.

Besides analysis will be implemented soon ... But anyway, I think hint is a good idea.

itias wrote:I also thought it could be nice to see the refutation for my wrong solution - right now I'm doing that manually by creating a new game from current position, but the issue is that 7ply depth is probably too few, so I'm getting the best results when doing 30mins/game for this mode. Maybe it could be possible to have a "Refutation" button in the standard incorrect move dialog box, what do you think?

I think, refutation finding is also a part of training process. You should find it yourself if you make an error. But in very rare cases (normally it should be rare) you can't find refutation or a puzzle contains error(s) or alternative solution(s). In this case you really can start a new game. 7ply can be few, I agree. But 30 min/game is to much :) I suggest to use from 2 to 10 sec/move.

There is no sense to improve something for rare cases :)

itias

Postby itias » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 pm

I can implement "Hint" menu option.
Yes, that would be great! :)

7ply can be few, I agree. But 30 min/game is too much :) I suggest to use from 2 to 10 sec/move.
So maybe, instead of having predefined times, you could allow for defining own intervals? It really depends on position and if there are several pieces on the board, 10 s/move is not enough, that is why I had to use 30 mins/game.
Like in DGT chess clocks, there are some quick settings you can choose from but also you can set your own.

sergeyvl

Postby sergeyvl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

itias wrote:So maybe, instead of having predefined times, you could allow for defining own intervals? It really depends on position and if there are several pieces on the board, 10 s/move is not enough, that is why I had to use 30 mins/game.
Like in DGT chess clocks, there are some quick settings you can choose from but also you can set your own.

You can define you intervals now. See "controls.txt" file ... You can add say 20s/move, 30s/move, 10min/game, ... any time control you want. Of cause, you can't do it from program itself for now, but I'll implement it eventually.

Return to “pbchess”