Cool Reader Pocketbook: some issues

j0r13n
My ELO: I don't know

Cool Reader Pocketbook: some issues

Post by j0r13n » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Thank you for this wonderful reader!

Some issues on my PocketBook 626:

Frontlight inplementation does not work.
The frontlight window does pop up and you can also 'activate' the frontlight in there. Sadly it doesn't switch on (or off) the actual PocketBook frontlight. I don't think the PocketBook SDK include instructions regarding the frontlight?!?

Dictionary doesn't work.
The dictionary window does pop up and you can also tab / highlight words but nothing is shown in the actual dictionary window. The same dictionary file does work on a Kobo Glo.

A minor issue (also on Kobo): when you select a line spacing above 150 and ends with number 5 (f.i. 155, 165, 175, etc) and close Cool Reader, the line spacing will default to 100. {Edit]: After power off PocketBook everything above 150 defaults to 100 after exit Cool Reader...

Keep up the good stuff! Happy with this forum!

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Re: Cool Reader Pocketbook: some issues

Post by sergeyvl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:33 pm

j0r13n wrote:Thank you for this wonderful reader!

Some issues on my PocketBook 626:

Frontlight inplementation does not work.
The frontlight window does pop up and you can also 'activate' the frontlight in there. Sadly it doesn't switch on (or off) the actual PocketBook frontlight. I don't think the PocketBook SDK include instructions regarding the frontlight?!?

Dictionary doesn't work.
The dictionary window does pop up and you can also tab / highlight words but nothing is shown in the actual dictionary window. The same dictionary file does work on a Kobo Glo.

A minor issue (also on Kobo): when you select a line spacing above 150 and ends with number 5 (f.i. 155, 165, 175, etc) and close Cool Reader, the line spacing will default to 100. {Edit]: After power off PocketBook everything above 150 defaults to 100 after exit Cool Reader...

Keep up the good stuff! Happy with this forum!
Hi, j0r13n

Thanks for feedback!

1. I didn't find any way to control frontlight in pocketbook API. Even in the new API.
2. Dictionary doesn't work because spdc (command line dictionary) is available for kobo and kindle but not for pocketbook. Possible it exists for PB now, I'll take a look in koreader.

I can build the latest version (2015.03) for PocketBook. Are you ready to test? :)

j0r13n

Post by j0r13n » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:04 pm

sergeyvl wrote:
Hi, j0r13n

Thanks for feedback!

1. I didn't find any way to control frontlight in pocketbook API. Even in the new API.
2. Dictionary doesn't work because spdc (command line dictionary) is available for kobo and kindle but not for pocketbook. Possible it exists for PB now, I'll take a look in koreader.

I can build the latest version (2015.03) for PocketBook. Are you ready to test? :)
I'm very glad to make a testdrive!

I have already translated Cool Reader to Dutch so maybe I can contribute a litte in this regard.
I shall translate PBchess also to Dutch; it's the least I can do :)

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:26 am

I've published 2015.03 for pocketbook here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=380

But...

I've just build it. I have no pocketbook now and can't test.

j0r13n

Post by j0r13n » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:32 pm

sergeyvl wrote:I've published 2015.03 for pocketbook here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=380

But...

I've just build it. I have no pocketbook now and can't test.
Too bad, haven't got much time now;

First look:

File manager is missing. Tried to mount it through applications.ini but doesn't show up...

Cool Reader is running fine. Finally the svg covers show up centered! 8-)

Later more thoroughly analysis...

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:26 pm

Sorry, forgot to add file manager. I'll add it tomorrow...

j0r13n

Post by j0r13n » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:47 pm

j0r13n wrote:
Too bad, haven't got much time now;

First look:

File manager is missing. Tried to mount it through applications.ini but doesn't show up...

Cool Reader is running fine. Finally the svg covers show up centered! 8-)

Later more thoroughly analysis...

The good:

Svg covers show up centered!
Multiple CSS support!

Less good:

Grey highlighting very dark
No visual insight when deleting single file (tested at Kobo)

The bad:

Nightmode works only once. Reverting back to 'normal' results in blank screen till exit program; reproducible at Kobo (Kindle has probably same issue, can't test)
Line spacing above 150 error still exists; reproducible at Kobo and PocketBook v1.2.6.39 (Kindle has probably same issue, can't test)
Navigation refresh problem on all selectable instances except 'Position'. The screen gets an odd right to left partial refresh; NOT reproducible at Kobo but reproducible at PocketBook v1.2.6.39 (can't test Kindle)

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Ok, thanks!

I'll fix hightlighting and line spacing soon.

Night mode is probably a CR engine problem...

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 am

sergeyvl wrote: I'll fix hightlighting and line spacing soon.
Fixed in the latest build

j0r13n

Post by j0r13n » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 pm

sergeyvl wrote:
sergeyvl wrote: I'll fix hightlighting and line spacing soon.
Fixed in the latest build
Super! Thanks!
Now I'm able to use the Lexia DaMa font, which gains benefit from a line spacing of 160 - 165.
The highlighting is imho also greatly improved, well done!

A few remarks/findings tho:

(a) Nightmode issue -> with Nightmode activated exiting to Launcher, results in an inverted display upon next start Cool Reader WITH the possibility to revert to normal display. Thereafter, you´re in the same starting position as before; you can invert the display again but can´t revert to normal display without exiting to Launcher.

(b) Navigation issue -> when mapping identical operations from Navigation menu (previous-/next chapter, first-/last page, etc) to Tap shortcuts, the afterwards through Tap executed operations went fine (full refresh) as opposite when the same operations are executed through the Navigation menu. The latter results in just a partial refresh which lead in most cases to an akward display presentation. Assuming that operations are identical; why doesn´t get the display get a full refresh in the latter case? Is it because of the different starting position (text vs menu) and can this be solved?

(c) Since the newest 2015.03 build, the default ui font size went to 14 instead of formerly 12. This isn´t any problem to an English user interface but it does is a problem for most foreign languages as most of them aren´t as compact as the English language. It can´t be fixed with the cr3.app.ui.default.font.size element in cr3.ini because it doesn´t work anymore in this build . Also, in the process of transferring the language menu selection to the Launcher, the ´Startup´ text isn´t cutt-off anymore but gets dismissed when it´s to width to display properly.

(d) And while we're at it...
Maybe it's time to upgrade the default menu font DejaVu Sans to something else. ;)
Although it's a clear font, it's also a rather square font and it's width nature isn't of any help for squeezing text into sometimes minimal available space.
And to be honest - to my eyes - it's looks outdated. :oops:
So I took the plunge for a possible new font, drawing up the following requirements: free font, Cirillic font, Sans Serif, well readable on E-ink, same height but smaller width as DejaVu Sans.
Withstanding the temptation of rushing into condensed/narrow fonts, I've tested several fonts with the PBchess font engine (great stuff, you really should adapt it in some sort to Cool Reader!) and I always went back to the Roboto font, which is a great alternative to the DejaVu font; a bit bolder, well readable at at different sizes and a more modern, professional touch to it. In comparison with the DejaVu font I now see words instead of a group of letters. It has exactly the same height and it´s just a bit more condensed as a bonus. You should give it a try! Just my 2 cents :)

As always, keep up the good stuff!