Dear English-speaking chess fans!

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Dear English-speaking chess fans!

Post by sergeyvl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am

Please, be more active in this forum :)
Please help me to improve pbchess! I'm waiting for your ideas, proposals, bug-reports.
We can share chess training materials in my site.
All the chess training materials are free. And this program is almost free for you.

I'll spend more time to this program if I get more feedback from my users... Please, don't be passive. Our common goal is to learn chess, let's help to each other!

Juergen
My ELO: I don't know

Re: Dear English-speaking chess fans!

Post by Juergen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 am

Tonight I posted a new topic concerning pbchess on pocketbook touch.
It was not published - please check.

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Juergen wrote:Tonight I posted a new topic concerning pbchess on pocketbook touch.
It was not published - please check.
Juergen,
Sorry for inconvenience! To prevent spam (there are a lot of spammers even at this small forum) your very first topic/post requires my approve.

atreides7887
My ELO: 0-1000

Post by atreides7887 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Hello,

Just recently installed this and absolutely loving it, a great way to get more out of my kindle. I'm relatively new to actually trying to learn chess properly (though i've known the rules for years) so I don't have much to share at this point. Over the next few weeks I'll almost definitely spend a lot of time on this program and will also take advantage of your training materials (which look great) so I'll have more to share then I'm sure.

Regards,
atreides7887

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

atreides7887 wrote:Hello,

Just recently installed this and absolutely loving it, a great way to get more out of my kindle. I'm relatively new to actually trying to learn chess properly (though i've known the rules for years) so I don't have much to share at this point. Over the next few weeks I'll almost definitely spend a lot of time on this program and will also take advantage of your training materials (which look great) so I'll have more to share then I'm sure.

Regards,
atreides7887
Thanks!

10 problems (at least!) per day keep a doctor away :)

1. For beginners

atreides7887

Post by atreides7887 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Well so far I've run through all the problems in Bruce Pandolfini "Beginning chess" and I really enjoy the format and the way in which it's very easy use. I've decided I need a stylus because of my fat fingers but apart from that I've been really enjoying the program. Excellent work.

I'm finding the whole 'base' system a bit confusing, more because of my lack of knowledge of chess programs in general I guess. I accidently added a game I was playing to the end of the tutorial file. I'm sure as I use it more I'll become more familiar with it.

One thing I would say is that I've only really looked at the beginner materials but are there many books with more of a teaching and theory angle rather than exercises? I see that there's one in advanced and I suspect that's what I'm getting at but I'll work my way up to there. And on a bit of a tangent, do you know of any/many good chess theory books (like opening strategies and the like) that are available on the Kindle in general. My main problem with openings is that I can follow a specific opening and understand the general theories but get myself in a hole sometimes where I'm not sure what the best idea is. A common problem is that I get all my minor pieces developed but end up blocking in most of my pawns and getting squeezed very easily.

Anyway in general I love the software, I think since I got the kindle pbchess vs. reading comes out at about 10 to 1 in terms of time spent. Great program!

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 pm

atreides7887 wrote:Well so far I've run through all the problems in Bruce Pandolfini "Beginning chess" and I really enjoy the format and the way in which it's very easy use. I've decided I need a stylus because of my fat fingers but apart from that I've been really enjoying the program. Excellent work.
atreides7887, my congratulation! It you have Kindle Touch - stylus is not a big problem :) Kindle Paperwhite is another story ...

Ivashenko and Kalinichenko are next!
atreides7887 wrote: I'm finding the whole 'base' system a bit confusing, more because of my lack of knowledge of chess programs in general I guess. I accidently added a game I was playing to the end of the tutorial file. I'm sure as I use it more I'll become more familiar with it.
We need to pay our price for the flexibility :) The most inconvenient thing is that you need to find your last solved puzzle after that... But I'll try to invent something. For now just open "game.cdb" or another base for games if you want to play game and save it to base. If you don't want to save it, just uncheck "Save to base" flag when creating a new game.
atreides7887 wrote: One thing I would say is that I've only really looked at the beginner materials but are there many books with more of a teaching and theory angle rather than exercises? I see that there's one in advanced and I suspect that's what I'm getting at but I'll work my way up to there. And on a bit of a tangent, do you know of any/many good chess theory books (like opening strategies and the like) that are available on the Kindle in general.
Sorry, I don't know books about chess in English... Because I have a lot of interesting book in Russian. Probably you need to address some big English-speaking forum like chess.com.

Another thing - I need to understand your level (ELO) to advice something. Are you registered at chess.com? Can you play several games (about 5-10), send me your rating and some games for review?

I suggest you to create a dedicated topic on this forum for analysing your games .
atreides7887 wrote: My main problem with openings is that I can follow a specific opening and understand the general theories but get myself in a hole sometimes where I'm not sure what the best idea is. A common problem is that I get all my minor pieces developed but end up blocking in most of my pawns and getting squeezed very easily.
That's not only your problem :) As I stated before, I need your rating and some games to see your problems and possible give some suggestions.
atreides7887 wrote: Anyway in general I love the software, I think since I got the kindle pbchess vs. reading comes out at about 10 to 1 in terms of time spent. Great program!
[/quote]

Thanks!

atreides7887

Post by atreides7887 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks for the response,

Yeah I realised I went wildly off topic with that post, wasn't really supposed to be about my chess woes. I'm about to start playing on gameknot.com so I'll let you know how that comes out.

Ah right I see what you mean about the game.cdb. I have now unticked the flag but presumably to save my games I'd create the base and make sure after working through some puzzles that I open the game base before starting a new game and then it'll get automatically added to that base. I can then switch between the game base and the puzzles without getting confused.

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 pm

atreides7887 wrote:Thanks for the response,
Yeah I realised I went wildly off topic with that post, wasn't really supposed to be about my chess woes.
atreides7887, the topic of this forum is chess :) So, your "chess woes" is not off-top here. The single thing - I recommend you to create dedicated topic on this forum there you can publish your games and your progress :)
atreides7887 wrote: I'm about to start playing on gameknot.com so I'll let you know how that comes out.
It will be great!

HerrJager
My ELO: 1000-1500

Post by HerrJager » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Sergey,

Just want to take the chance to introduce myself to the forum and thank you so much for your hard work. Using pbchess on my Paperwhite (the newer PW2 version) is just fantastic. I am also pretty new to serious chess playing after having known the basics for years so the combination of your program and training materials is incredibly helpful. No significant complaints/suggestions at the moment but I will do my best to stay active in this forum and help in any way I can.

Take care.