Dear English-speaking chess fans!

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Re: Dear English-speaking chess fans!

Post by sergeyvl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:18 am

HerrJager wrote:Hi Sergey,

Just want to take the chance to introduce myself to the forum and thank you so much for your hard work. Using pbchess on my Paperwhite (the newer PW2 version) is just fantastic. I am also pretty new to serious chess playing after having known the basics for years so the combination of your program and training materials is incredibly helpful. No significant complaints/suggestions at the moment but I will do my best to stay active in this forum and help in any way I can.

Take care.
Thanks!

yahya
My ELO: 1500-1600

Post by yahya » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a hobbyist chess player from Pakistan, and let me assure you that your hard work is greatly appreciated. I am currently employed in a school and I also overlook the chess activities there and I have introduced all my kids to your chess program. It is an amazing program and helps us learn stuff we wouldnt have been able to otherwise. Please keep up the good work.

Salute :D

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Post by sergeyvl » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:17 pm

yahya wrote:Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a hobbyist chess player from Pakistan, and let me assure you that your hard work is greatly appreciated. I am currently employed in a school and I also overlook the chess activities there and I have introduced all my kids to your chess program. It is an amazing program and helps us learn stuff we wouldnt have been able to otherwise. Please keep up the good work.

Salute :D
Thanks, yahya!

Murat
My ELO: 1600-1700

Post by Murat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Dear Sergey,

Thank you for providing us with such an amazing chess product. I am using it on Kobo Touch.
This is priceless on E-readers. The long battery life and being easy on the old eyes is a big deal.

I have some questions.

1- As I can see it, the only way to turn pondering on/off is to display analysis.
I would like to play with pondering off to save battery but the analysis displayed while it is computers turn.
Is this possible without turning analysis on and off every move?
2- Do you have any change logs for newer builds? For example is wi-fi fix the only change in 2015.12 kobo build?
3- I have read that windows version can add extra engines. Is this possible for Kobo version? If yes a guide will be helpful.

Thanks again and all the best

benredic
My ELO: 1000-1500

Post by benredic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Since this seems to be the de facto "hi" thread: Hi :-)

I just recently purchased a PocketBook Touch Lux 3 for the purpose of reading some books (chess books of course) and articles. I am already used to using a tablet for this purpose; I have an Android tablet I use for reading all kinds of stuff, including reading ebooks. I also have literally dozens of apps for playing online, all kinds of engines, tactics courses, databases and whatnot. The apps I most frequently use are Lichess, Acid Ape Chess, SCID on the go, CT-ART.

My main reason for getting an e-reader was that it would be more convenient for reading, especially for prolonged reading sessions, or for reading outdoors.

I also had some faint hope that it would be possible to actually play chess on it, although I did not really research this before my purchase. My main reason for going with the PockeBook was the format support, Dropbox support and micro SD support. I was however pleased to find that the PocketBook actually came preloaded with a basic chess program.

I still wanted to see if there was something more advanced, so I started searching the net. I guess I was expecting to maybe find something with a couple of open source engines, and maybe some sort of PGN support. But I can frankly say I was not expecting to find something like pbchess. I quickly downloaded it to check that it actually worked on my device and check out the functionality, and it was just love at first sight. The online tactics, the training courses and the database functionality makes this program a true gem. I am surprised I have not come across this earlier on Android. But having it on a device with the battery time and screen readability of the PocketBook is just gold. I quickly decided to purchase this, and I am looking forward to making good use of it.

So, thanks for making my day :-)