Suggestions

Tomasz
My ELO: I don't know

Suggestions

Post by Tomasz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Hello,

I'm an Onyx user so my first suggestion is to implement a keybord to enter Player name :]
A second one is to make in menu something like 'Save a game as player name' it will help to manage a situation when many players use one program. I agree with Sergey that I can make directory and copy there game.cdb then open it but it's complicated for example on e-readers (some of them). It will be easier to use a function mentioned above.

Regards,
Tomasz
Reagrds,
Tomasz

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Re: Suggestions

Post by sergeyvl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Tomasz wrote:Hello,

I'm an Onyx user so my first suggestion is to implement a keybord to enter Player name :]
A second one is to make in menu something like 'Save a game as player name' it will help to manage a situation when many players use one program. I agree with Sergey that I can make directory and copy there game.cdb then open it but it's complicated for example on e-readers (some of them). It will be easier to use a function mentioned above.

Regards,
Tomasz
Hi, Tomasz,

Thanks! I'll try to implement entering player name soon.

I also will think about adding profiles (great idea!)... I can't promice to implement profiles quickly (time! time! time!) but it will be implemented.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:48 pm

There is no hurry :]
Some other suggestions and questions:
1. Maybe when Pawn reaches end and it should be promoted, try to make a menu where you can choose a promotion.
2. What does game reset button? - it doesn't reset game in my version.
3. It will be great when you could choose games from cdb (menu). There is in menu button contents but it's always blank. Maybe some games with date and time, and managing them - deleting ability and changing order.
4. A posibility to delete a game from base will be a good option.
Reagrds,
Tomasz

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:14 am

Tomasz wrote:There is no hurry :]
Some other suggestions and questions:
1. Maybe when Pawn reaches end and it should be promoted, try to make a menu where you can choose a promotion.
Planned to the next (1.2.5) version. In the current version you can choose promotion before move.
Tomasz wrote: 2. What does game reset button? - it doesn't reset game in my version.
Resets game to initial state (undos all the actions and re-loads it from base). For puzzles it clears "solved" flag.
It is useful for chess problems - you can solve problem again and for chess books (you can try variations inside the book and if you want to restore book into it's original state, use reset). For the new game it should clear all the moves. Note that if you exit the program or select another game, the current game is automatically saved to the base and you'll can reset it only to this state in the future. Note, you always reset puzzle (problem) to it's initial state.
Tomasz wrote: 3. It will be great when you could choose games from cdb (menu). There is in menu button contents but it's always blank. Maybe some games with date and time, and managing them - deleting ability and changing order.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118#p397

This is TOC (Table Of Contents). Some CDB books have it.
Tomasz wrote: 4. A posibility to delete a game from base will be a good option.
Also will be done but not very soon due to some technical problems.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:30 am

sergeyvl wrote: Resets game to initial state (undos all the actions and re-loads it from base). For puzzles it clears "solved" flag. It is useful for chess problems - you can solve problem again and for chess books (you can try variations inside the book and if you want to restore book into it's original state, use reset). For the new game it should clear all the moves. Note that if you exit the program or select another game, the current game is automatically saved to the base and you'll can reset it only to this state in the future. Note, you always reset puzzle (problem) to it's initial state.
Yes it's very useful, and works fine. The problem was as you said that I opened game alredy played and the initial state was saved in database. And the answer 4 will solve my problem.
One question - does the program create game.cdb when it's deleted? Can I delete it, and it will be created empty?
sergeyvl wrote: This is TOC (Table Of Contents). Some CDB books have it.
Is there any chance of doing something like a list of games with date and time in opened database?
Reagrds,
Tomasz

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Tomasz wrote: One question - does the program create game.cdb when it's deleted? Can I delete it, and it will be created empty?
Yes.
1. Open game.cdb
2. Close pbchess
3. Delete game.cdb
4. Run pbchess. game.cdb will be empty.
sergeyvl wrote: Is there any chance of doing something like a list of games with date and time in opened database?
Yes. But I plan seriously only the nearest version (1.2.5). Today I'll translate plan for 1.2.5.

Done, here are my plans to 1.2.5 that I've published on the Russian forum some time ago:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124#p417

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Thu May 03, 2012 6:39 pm

My next suggestion is to add a button 'hint' somewhere in the menu. It should (in my opinion) work like changing actual player to computer (at high level) for one movement. It will be very helpfull in solving riddles. I think it should be easy to do as you have already done an option to change a player from actual position.
Reagrds,
Tomasz

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 am

Yes, analyzing feature will be implemented.

Topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=119

MundGawi
My ELO: 1600-1700

Post by MundGawi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:48 am

Hi Sergey, and first of all, thank you for this impressive job! Ok, so, I've tried pbchess and it's a great program, but the only thing missing that is a blocker for me to buy the software is the human vs. human game (actually the most important feature to my eyes).

It would be AWESOME in human vs. human game if:

1) both players could have their material (and the annotation) set in the proper direction to avoid turning the chessboard or turning the Kindle. Right now, it is unfortunately really unpraticable.
2) there was a small clock and a tap button on the side to control players time (maybe instead of having the algebric annotation, players could both have a clock on their side, and they could tap on it once finishing their move ... this would avoid having the clock and the button on the side of the chessboard and keep its size maximized).

Well that's it Sergey. I really (really!) hope this is feasible. That would let me take my Kindle everywhere and play time-based games with people around.

Best Regards,

Jules

sergeyvl

Post by sergeyvl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:51 am

MundGawi wrote:Hi Sergey, and first of all, thank you for this impressive job! Ok, so, I've tried pbchess and it's a great program, but the only thing missing that is a blocker for me to buy the software is the human vs. human game (actually the most important feature to my eyes).
Thanks for feedback!
MundGawi wrote: It would be AWESOME in human vs. human game if:

1) both players could have their material (and the annotation) set in the proper direction to avoid turning the chessboard or turning the Kindle. Right now, it is unfortunately really unpraticable.
In other words, I should rotate the board after each move? Or have a chessboard for each player?
MundGawi wrote: 2) there was a small clock and a tap button on the side to control players time (maybe instead of having the algebric annotation, players could both have a clock on their side, and they could tap on it once finishing their move ... this would avoid having the clock and the button on the side of the chessboard and keep its size maximized).
Why do we need a tap button?