Suggestions

MundGawi
My ELO: 1600-1700

Re: Suggestions

Postby MundGawi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Sergey,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer! Here is what I believe would be the best for human vs. human games:

1) Game setup menu:
- input the players names (for the top and the bottom of the Kindle screen)
- select black / white for the players
- time selection (+ bonus time for blitz if possible)
- an option to save the game in PNG (with the date/time and players' name in the file name)

2) Chessboard screen:
- have the top screen player's piece set turned upside down: this is the best by far because there would be no need to rotate the Kindle, or rotate the chessboard after each move, or have two chessboards on the screen (the traditional Staunton piece set can be used but I saw on internet some quite interesting 2D sets for human vs. human games ex: http://files.chesscomfiles.com/images_u ... eces-3.jpg)
- in the empty area right in front of each players on top and bottom of the screen, a digital clock displaying the remaining time (upside down on the top of the screen so that both players can easily see their own). You're right, there is no need to have a 'tap' area, since the opponent clock can start as soon as the other player has played his turn...

I hope this clarifies my last post Sergey... I don't know if this is possible, but that would be awesome!

Regards,

Jules

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Postby sergeyvl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 pm

MundGawi,

Of cause I can't implement all your proposals in the nearest versions (cause I have a lot of plans) but some of them are intersects with my plans:

1. Time controls + bonuses will be implemented in the nearest version (1.2.5);
2. Export game(s) into PGN will be implemented in 1.2.5;
3. You can just now (in this version) create your own direction-independent pieces set for pbchess (my program allows this);
4. To play human vs human it's better to turn off annotation (make board as big as possible).

Of cause I can't implement soon such things as:

1. 2 boards (mush better and easier to add an option that keeps rotated the pieces of the upper player);
2. show names and times as you wish by the different sides of board (although I'll think on that)

itias
My ELO: 1500-1600

Postby itias » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 am

Hi Siergiej,

As promised, here are my suggestions regarding pbchess, some related to touch devices (I own Kindle Touch), and couple are of general nature.

Touch devices
  • Navigation elements (scrollbars, scrollbar arrows) are too small to be easily used on finger-operated devices. It requires using tips of your fingernails to be able to scroll through the list of bases
  • The same applies to the Contents list when there is a tree structure. In order to expand a branch one needs to click on tiny plus symbol
  • On screen keyboard is not displayed for edit boxes

General remarks
In the beginning I mast say pbchess is something I was looking for and really a great tool:) There are couple of minor things that could help to make it even better (at least from my perspective), so let me explain what are the main purposes I would use pbchess for, and what could be changed for all those applications. Before I list them, I would like to mention that antialiasing works only for chessboard if enabled. It is not used for menus and notation which looks a bit ugly comparing to Kindle books ;).

Solving puzzles
I think right now it works almost perfectly well for that purpose, the only suggestion would be to allow user to select a piece when promoting a pawn - not always queening is the best solution, sometimes you need to promote to a knight etc.
Another slight inconvenience is the Contents window - sometimes chapter names are too long to fit the window and there is no way to scroll horizontally (ie. in Ivashenko)

Viewing training materials and repertoire databases
In my view that would require two major improvements:
  • database browser - currently there is no possibility to see what is in the database, so practically anything bigger than couple of games is hard to navigate and select from
  • possibility to display smaller chessboard - currently the notation area is quite too small for browsing pgn's, especially heavy commented or with many variations. I hope that with TTF fonts it could be relatively easy to provide an option to select board sizes.
And there is something which could help users of touch devices: optional small navigation pane somewhere (maybe right side of notation pane?) with next move, previous move, go to 1st, go to last.

Entering games I played from scorecard to pgn
I would love to see something similar to chessbase's Save dialog box where I can enter opponents' names, optionally ELO and game result. Comments in pgn would be welcomed but not necessary.

Playing chess
I must say I rarely play against computer, I rather prefer human opponents. This would be probably a major rework of the program but if it could allow playing on FICS over the internet, your program would be a killer ;)

fizban
My ELO: I don't know

Postby fizban » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Some suggestions:
-Full PGN support (for example with NAGs)
-Possibility to use different letters for the notation (internationalization)
-Some way to practice openings
-In the Kindle Touch, when hiding the header, there is no way to bring up the menu anymore...
Last edited by fizban on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sergeyvl

Postby sergeyvl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

fizban wrote:Some suggestions:
-Full PGN support (for example with NAGs)
-Possibility to use different letters for the notation (internationalization)
-Some way to practice openings

Thanks!

For now only NAGs are not implemented in PGN support :) I'll do it probably in 1.2.6. Version 1.2.5 is 90% complete.

Notation internationalization is not first priority task. But I have a plan to use pictures instead of letters.

About openings. Please describe more detail how we can practice...

fizban

Postby fizban » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 pm

I actually come from the Palm world and I liked the way PocketChess Deluxe handled variations, with a plus sign that you could tap and see the first next possible move in the different variations.

Regarding openings, I kind of liked the way OpenChess allowed to train. You could start a move and the computer would choose an opening to follow, showing the name at the bottom. If you continued with a move, you had to follow any of the possible variations. The computer would always reply with a valid continuation of an opening, sometimes choosing randomly between the potential options, but always showing at the bottom the name of the variation. Possibly, with the addition of the capability of Puzzles to have multiple solutions a pgn/cdb database could be created for this purpose.

harris

Postby harris » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Siergiej,

Here are my suggestions for future versions:

weather forecast... ebook connects to the Internet and download data and displays on screen, something like this:

https://bitbucket.org/david_weese/kobo-weather-app

Reader RSS

The ebook downaload news via RSS

harris

Postby harris » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:19 am

and please ....

improve the calculator.
visually gives it.
put some skin

Glorfindel
My ELO: 1000-1500

Postby Glorfindel » Mon May 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Would it be too much work to add a terminal that includes a built in keyboard?

sergeyvl

Postby sergeyvl » Wed May 13, 2015 6:08 am

Glorfindel wrote:Would it be too much work to add a terminal that includes a built in keyboard?

It's not very easy to write terminal application. I tried to find good terminal emulation library but no success. Please create the separate topic in CR forum if you are interested.

Return to “pbchess”