pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

sergeyvl
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:43 pm
My ELO: 1700-1800
Location: Харьков
Contact:

pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by sergeyvl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Good day!

Here is my plans to 1.2.5 version

Mandatory:

1. {DONE} Add time controls to the game.
2. {DONE} Possibility to remove moves and variations from the history (smart undo :)
3. Improve control for touchscreen devices. (Next game, Previous game using tapping and gestures)
4. {DONE} For chess books: go to "History" mode at once after opening the book
5. {DONE} For chess books: improve navigation. "Right" button at the end of the current game moves history should cause the next game to be opened. The same is "Left" button.
6. {DONE} Pawn promotion dialog.
7. {DONE} For the beginners - show possible moves.
8. {DONE} Cursor thickness setup + possibility to hide cursor (for touchscreen devices)

fyy0r
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 pm
My ELO: I don't know

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by fyy0r » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 am

Good news Sergey. Thanks
sergeyvl wrote:4. For chess books: go to "History" mode at once after opening the book
Maybe you can do this after opening PGN/CDB too? Just an idea, it is not a big deal though

sergeyvl
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:43 pm
My ELO: 1700-1800
Location: Харьков
Contact:

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by sergeyvl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 pm

fyy0r wrote:Good news Sergey. Thanks
sergeyvl wrote:4. For chess books: go to "History" mode at once after opening the book
Maybe you can do this after opening PGN/CDB too? Just an idea, it is not a big deal though
Good idea is to deside in what mode to switch after separate game selection:

1. If the game is finished (have result 0-1,1-0 or 1/2-1/2), switch to "History" mode;
2. If it is not our game (we didn't create it), switch to "History" mode;
3. If it is our game (we created it) and it is not finished, switch to "Play" mode.

Right?

fyy0r
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 pm
My ELO: I don't know

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by fyy0r » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 am

sergeyvl wrote:
fyy0r wrote:Good news Sergey. Thanks
sergeyvl wrote:4. For chess books: go to "History" mode at once after opening the book
Maybe you can do this after opening PGN/CDB too? Just an idea, it is not a big deal though
Good idea is to deside in what mode to switch after separate game selection:

1. If the game is finished (have result 0-1,1-0 or 1/2-1/2), switch to "History" mode;
2. If it is not our game (we didn't create it), switch to "History" mode;
3. If it is our game (we created it) and it is not finished, switch to "Play" mode.

Right?
Yes but maybe you have to also call this code when user opens PBChess too so it knows what to do when a game was already opened from before.

sergeyvl
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:43 pm
My ELO: 1700-1800
Location: Харьков
Contact:

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by sergeyvl » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:42 am

Good idea to save state for the last opened game also. Thanks!

itias
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 pm
My ELO: 1500-1600

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by itias » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 am

As a Kindle Touch user, I'd like to participate in testing if you want :)
I think there are couple of things that could be modified for touch device users:
  • onscreen keyboard is missing in dialogs where you enter player names
  • problem with scrolling of lists - scroll arrows are too small to precisely tap them
  • for bigger games with variants there is no way to navigate backward when earlier moves are not visible - at least I could not find such option ;) Maybe there could be an option for touch devices to display navigation window in the right part of notation window?
Good job, Siergiej!

sergeyvl
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:43 pm
My ELO: 1700-1800
Location: Харьков
Contact:

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by sergeyvl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm

itias wrote:As a Kindle Touch user, I'd like to participate in testing if you want :)
Thanks, sure!
itias wrote: onscreen keyboard is missing in dialogs where you enter player names
I'll try to use standard Kindle Touch virtual keyboard
itias wrote: [*]problem with scrolling of lists - scroll arrows are too small to precisely tap them
Ok
itias wrote: for bigger games with variants there is no way to navigate backward when earlier moves are not visible - at least I could not find such option ;) Maybe there could be an option for touch devices to display navigation window in the right part of notation window?
Did you try gestures? The following gestures should work on the history area:

left to right - next move
right to left - previous move
top to bottom - end of curr variant / main line or the next variant (if we are at the beginning of variant)
bottom to top - begin of curr variant / main line or the prev variant (if we are at the beginning of variant)

The last gesture is not work with KT :( due to KT specific. I'll try to do something with it in 1.2.5. So, for now to leave variant you need to use "right to left - previous move" gesture several times.

itias
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 pm
My ELO: 1500-1600

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by itias » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I confirm that gesture works. One thing related to displaying variations: each new variation starts in a new line so if you add 2 new variations you end up with seeing just couple of brackets and two moves. I was wondering if you could consider displaying them in single line like Chessbase does by default? Or maybe offer that as an option?

itias
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 pm
My ELO: 1500-1600

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by itias » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:55 pm

There is also one thing I miss, which is a list of games in a database. All you can do is you can open a DB and navigate previous and next games. Maybe this is too complicated for this 1.2.5 planned release, but definitely worth considering in the future. I'll post something in Suggestions topic later on. I think you could mark some topics pinned at the top of the board - it'll help newbies on this forum;)

sergeyvl
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:43 pm
My ELO: 1700-1800
Location: Харьков
Contact:

Re: pbchess-1.2.5 - plans to new version

Post by sergeyvl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:31 pm

itias wrote:I confirm that gesture works. One thing related to displaying variations: each new variation starts in a new line so if you add 2 new variations you end up with seeing just couple of brackets and two moves. I was wondering if you could consider displaying them in single line like Chessbase does by default? Or maybe offer that as an option?
First, you can increase the history area (Settings/View). Of cause, I can add such an option, but for big games with many variations a game can became much badly readable

Post Reply