[SOLVED] Android Installation Question

tewald
My ELO: 1000-1500

[SOLVED] Android Installation Question

Post by tewald » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:47 pm

I installed PBChess on my Android phone. When I downloaded a couple of different bases, however, the program woouldn't recognize them. How do I get it to do so? Thanks.

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Re: Android Installation Question

Post by sergeyvl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:10 pm

tewald wrote:I installed PBChess on my Android phone. When I downloaded a couple of different bases, however, the program woouldn't recognize them. How do I get it to do so? Thanks.
Hi, tewald!

Sorry for late answer.

Please specify:
1. What databases did you download?
2. What steps are you trying to open them?

tewald

Post by tewald » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:20 pm

I tried Kalinichenko.en.cdb and School2.en.cdb. I could not find where PBChess is installed on my Android, so I put them into a directory that I could find. Then within PBChess I went to Base/New base and then went to the directory with those two files in it. I clicked on one and hit OK. When I go to Base/Contents nothing shows up; I tried the other one with the same results. The only one that will do anything is School.en.cdb, which was included with the program. Very nice program, but I would like to try the other databases. Thanks.

sergeyvl
My ELO: 1700-1800

Post by sergeyvl » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:51 am

tewald wrote:I tried Kalinichenko.en.cdb and School2.en.cdb. I could not find where PBChess is installed on my Android, so I put them into a directory that I could find. Then within PBChess I went to Base/New base and then went to the directory with those two files in it. I clicked on one and hit OK. When I go to Base/Contents nothing shows up; I tried the other one with the same results. The only one that will do anything is School.en.cdb, which was included with the program. Very nice program, but I would like to try the other databases. Thanks.
tewald,

1. It's better to put pbchess bases into the pbchess installation directory. Just put them into SD/.pbchess/chess. You can do it using any android file manager.
2. Base/New is completely wrong. "New" creates new (empty) database for your games and overwrites an existing db with the same name. Pls. use "Base/Open" to open databases.

tewald

Post by tewald » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Thank you.

1. I had two file managers on my phone and neither could find pbchess. Its location was my original question. Trying from my PC (via USB connection) never showed it, either. I finally downloaded a third file manager to my phone and it found it.

2. Duh. I see what you mean. I was using the name of the file I was clicking on, but creating a blank file. Good grief.

I don't see an instruction manual for Android on your site. Is one of the others appropriate?

Thanks, again.